Thursday, June 24, 2010

Baby Food

I don't know how anyone else likes to feed their babies but I like to cook most of my daughter's food. There is of course definite need for baby food in the shops and I do utilise the fruits to give for desserts because lets face it, I ain't going to find stone fruits right now to stew and apples get a little boring after a while!
The way I usually do it is making large portion dinners and freezing them in those little portion 'ice cube' trays, then removing the amount of cubes I need for her lunch or dinner. I also tend to freeze plain cauliflower or pumpkin etc to 'add' to meals I make that are too thick or to jazz things up.
Some of my favourites meal combinations are 'sweet potato, tuna and creamed corn' this is sort of like tuna mornay without the fuss. I also do Ratatouille, I saute tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, onion (sometimes capsicum if I have it) until it is soft - sometimes to this I add some tomato sauce and puree just as a veggie mash or add tuna, chicken or mince OR rice or small pasta! - it really goes nice with any of these.
Another favourite is to start with a mash base like potato or sweet potato then steam any other veggies I can get my hands on broccoli, cauli, carrots, peas - this is the best way I find to use some veggies that really won't last another day (sounds bad but why waste them if they are still good?!?). This base also works because I tend just to make extra veggies or mash at dinner so I am not cooking twice for baby and us - she especially likes it when I add some of our gravy from dinner to the puree, mmmmmm
This homemade food ensures that I know what she is eating - as for her 'sweets' I am now buying "Only Organic" as it is cheaper than the Heinz organic version, I have seen the Only Organic brand in Coles and Foodland but haven't been to Woolworths to see if it is there.
As for breakfasts I use the Bellamy's Organic range of cereals and porridges to which I add a few tablespoons of the Only Organic fruits to change the flavour, they really are easy to use and I use far less than the other brands making it cheaper overall.
Something else which I have recently had to buy since I stopped breastfeeding is formula - man that is an expensive exercise!!! I wish she hadn't decided to wean herself! But, there is an organic formula now! This is again done by Bellamy's which have 3 stages the price is comparable to the S26 range so no big deal - but one small bonus that I noticed between the two is the scoop. In the S26 range the scoop has one hole in the top and when I tried to put it into a bottle of boiling water it would always get stuck in the scoop and on the rim of the bottle! I haven't had this with the Bellamys one as there are 2 holes in the scoop so it always seems to fall out easily - I know its not much but these things frustrate the hell out of you at 5/6am!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment